Custom Search

Friday, October 2, 2009

INDONESIA EARTHQUAKE CLAIMED MORE THAN 1,000 LIVES




I would like to extend my deepest condolences to the Indonesian people particularly to those affected by the earthquake which had struck twice close to Padang, capital city of West Sumatra province.

The first 7.6 magnitude quake struck at 5:16 pm local time (1016 GMT) on Wednesday, some 85km (55 miles) under the sea, north-west of Padang. During that time the armchair which I was sitting on in my house in Shah Alam, Malaysia was shaking for quite a while. I wondered what has happened. When I tuned on my tv to CNN, there was the breaking news on Sumatra quake. I felt so sad because I knew that the 7.9 magnitude (initial report) would claim numerous casualties and damages. The second 6.8 magnitude quake which struck several hours later may have caused further damage.

According to the UN Humanitarian Chief John Holmes, the death toll from the earthquake rose to at least 1,100. Another 2,400 people have been injured.Rescues are racing to save as many survivors from the rubble of crushed homes, schools, mosques, commercial buildings and shops. Thousands are still trapped in the wreckage. However, shortage of heavy machinery remain a problem.

Many nations have started giving assistance in the aftermath of this tragic disaster. The U.S for example has released USD 300,000 in emergency aid, and has set aside an additional USD three million in further assistance following an assessment of the disaster, said Ian Kelly of State Department.

As individuals, we also can contribute to the people in need. Be it in term of money or in other forms. I still remember a wise man said," Greatness of a person is not based on what he/ she has but on what he/she gives." So let contribute while we have and in return will receive contributions when we are in need.



No comments:

Post a Comment