Custom Search

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

GLOVER CAPTURED 2009 U.S. OPEN

Lucas Glover, the champion of 2009 U.S. Open

“I drove it probably the best
I’ve ever driven it in the first three rounds here,” said Glover.
“Not so much today.
I think nerves had a little effect on my rhythm,
and I didn’t hit very many shots
where I was looking or the shape I was trying to hit them.”

The rain-delayed championship has given me the opportunity to watch it over tv on Monday. I thought I wouldn't be able to experience the heart- throbbing final, since 21th Jun was my journey back to Malaysia from London. But I'm glad to have a share of the emotion-packed final hour of 109th U.S.Open.

Lucas Glover had survived challenges from
Phil Mickelson, David Duval , Tiger Woods and others and captured the 109th U.S. Open championship. As a non superstar status, he became the“People’s” Open as this championship was played at a public course, Bethpage State Park, Farmingdale, New York.

At 29-years-old having only one PGA Tour win to his name, Glover had overcame rain-delayed final round with a 3-over 73 for a two-shot victory.

Phil Mickelson's eagle at the 554-yard, par-5 13th got him a share of the lead at 4 under. However, a three-putt bogey at the 15th and then a bogey at the par-3 17th proved his position to be second to Glover.

Duval, who began the week ranked No. 882 in the world and had missed the cut in eight of 13 starts this season, had played an incredible golf and earned tie for second at 2-under 278. Though he didn't win, now, Duval dramatically returns to prominence.

When Tiger Woods left Bethpage Black in 2002, it was with the silver U.S. Open trophy, his sixth major championship win overall. However, he left the 109th U. S. Open trophy-less. He only managed to score an even-par 280 total and a tie for sixth with Soren Hansen, four shots behind Glover.




No comments:

Post a Comment