Custom Search

Monday, July 20, 2009

CINK WON 2009 OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP


Cink the 2009 Open Champ.



"I'm a little intimidated
by this piece of hardware,"
said Cink upon receiving the Claret Jug.
"There are a lot of emotions running through
my mind and my heart and I'm just proud to be here with this."


Stewart Cink, the world number 33 has won the 2009 Open Champion after defeating five- time winner, Tom Watson in a four-hole play- off at Turnberry, Scotland.


Watson five-time Open Champ.


I had the opportunity to watch the thrilling final round live on channel ESPN last night. It's amazing that Tom Watson, at 59 years of age was able to perform superbly throughout the four days. However at the final hole, his putter had failed him to obtain a par, thus forcing him into a play-off with Stewart Cink and finally unable to clinch the magical sixth Open victory.

Cink's victory came at the end of the four extra holes where he outplayed Watson with a score of two under par against four over.

Cink, a four-time Ryder Cup star, remarked, "Extraordinary, it's been a surreal experience. Playing against Tom Watson, this just doesn't happen. I grew up watching him and hoping I could follow in his footsteps. I'm happy just to be a part of it let alone win."

Congratulations Stewart Cink !




No comments:

Post a Comment